With the advancement of technology, many new media have emerged that presents new creations, such as computer programmes and broadcasts.
Gauteng copyright attorney Smit & Van Wyk Incorporated will be able to assist you with queries regarding copyright for this media.
Here is a basic list of works covered in terms of the South African Copyright Act (No. 98 of 1978):
- Literary works (e.g. novels, poems, textbooks, letters, reports, lectures, speeches)
- Musical works
- Artistic works (e.g. paintings, sculptures, drawings, photographs)
- Cinematograph films
- Sound recordings
- Broadcasts (electromagnetic transmissions intended for reception by the public)
- Programme-carrying signals (a programme signal which passes through a satellite)
- Published editions of books (usually the first print of a literary or musical work)
- Computer programs (instructions directing the operation of a computer)
Because of the variety of media, it can be difficult to determine the specific applicable copyright laws. Expert Gauteng copyright attorney Smit & Van Wyk Incorporated will be able to assist you and clarify any related issues.