Smit & Van Wyk Incorporated specialises in intellectual property law, which means we can help you protect your invention by way of a patent.
These are the steps for this intellectual property process:
- KEEP THE INVENTION SECRET. Do not market or sell it until a patent application has been filed at the South African Patent Office.
- Contact us to discuss patent or other protection for your invention in detail.
- We can also discuss the possibility of conducting cursory, fixed-cost patent searches to provide you with background information of what has been patented before in your field.
- Should you wish to proceed with the patenting process, we shall, upon receipt of a deposit, prepare a patent specification for the invention.
- The patent specification will be forwarded to you for approval.
- When you are satisfied that the patent specification is complete, we shall file a patent application at the South African Patent Office in Pretoria.
Only after we have confirmed that the patent application has been filed may you disclose your invention.
Contact us if you require more information on this intellectual property process.