Angola designs have an initial term of 5 years from date of filing, with possible extensions of 2 further terms of 5 years each.
Types of Designs:
- Industrial Designs
- Utility Model
Design Duration / Renewals:
The design has an initial term of 5 years from date of filing, with possible extensions of 2 further terms of 5 years each.
Design Filing Requirements
- Power of Attorney, notarised and legalised (can be late filed)
- Drawings, photographs or sample of the design or utility model (required upon filing)
- Indication of the kind or class of the product which the design or utility model will be used
- Deed of assignment, notarised and legalised (can be late filed)
- Certified copy of priority document (if applicable) with Portuguese translation (must be filed within 3 months of the filing date)
International and Regional Systems
Angola is a member of the Paris Convention where each contracting state must grant the same IP protection to nationals of other contracting states, and provides for the right of priority in the case of patents, trademarks and designs. The Paris Convention is an international agreement which helps creators ensure that their intellectual property is protected in other countries. It applies to IP in the widest sense as it covers patents, trademarks and industrial designs to name a few.