Angola PatentsIntellectual Property
Types of Patents:
- Patents of Invention
- National Phase PCT Application
- Power of Attorney with Portuguese translation, notarised and legalised up to the Angolan Consulate (must be filed within 2 months of the date of filing)
- Title and abstract in Portuguese (required upon filing)
- Specification, claims, drawings and abstract (required upon filing)
- Verified Portuguese translation of the specification, claims and drawings (must be filed as soon as possible after filing date)
- Deed of assignment with Portuguese translation, notarised and legalised up to the Angolan Consulate (must be filed within 2 months of the date of filing)
- Certified copy of the priority document (if applicable) with Portuguese translation (must be filed within 2 months of the filing date)
Angola currently does not make provision for filing PCT applications, therefore does not set out the filing requirements for such applications. Applicants should lodge the same documents as for non-PCT applications along with the following:
- Published International application (required upon filing)
- International Search Report and International Preliminary Report on Patentability (can be late filed)
Absolute novelty required.
Food, pharmaceuticals, chemical products and medicines (for humans and animals) are not patentable but processes for their manufacture are.
Angola patents have a duration of 15 years from date of filing. Annual renewal fees are payable in advance from the first anniversary of the filing date.
International and Regional Systems:
- Paris Convention