World Intellectual Property Day is observed annually on 26 April. The National Algerian Institute for Industrial Property proposed the institutionalization of an international day for intellectual property, with the aim of more awareness. The Chinese delegation to the WIPO proposed the adoption of the “World Intellectual Property Day”.
In 1999, the General Assembly of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) approved the idea of declaring April 26 as a World Intellectual Property Day. World Intellectual Property Day was established in 2000. April 26 was the date on which the Convention established the World Intellectual Property Organization in 1970.
Each year, a message is associated with World Intellectual Property Day:
- 2001 – Creating the Future Today
- 2002 – Encouraging Creativity
- 2003 – Make Intellectual Property Your Business
- 2004 – Encouraging Creativity
- 2005 – Think, Imagine, Create
- 2006 – It Starts With An Idea
- 2007 – Encouraging Creativity
- 2008 – Celebrating innovation and promoting respect for intellectual property
- 2009 – Green Innovation
- 2010 – Innovation – Linking the World
- 2011 – Designing the Future
- 2012 – Visionary Innovators
- 2013 – Creativity – The Next Generation
- 2014 – Movies – a Global Passion
- 2015 – Get Up, Stand Up. For Music
- 2016 – Digital Creativity: Culture Reimagined
World Intellectual Property Day raises awareness of patented inventions, copyrights, trademarks and registered designs. World Intellectual Property Day celebrates creativity and the contribution made by innovators and creators.