Franchising in Africa
At Smit & Van Wyk, we understand that starting or buying a franchise can be an exciting yet complex process that requires the expertise of a franchise attorney. We have a team of qualified attorneys who specialize in franchising and are well-versed in the legal requirements of setting up a franchise agreement and other legal documentation.
It’s important to note that common law principles can differ in different jurisdictions, so it’s necessary to obtain advice from attorneys who are able to advise clients in relation to a particular jurisdiction. Our team of attorneys has the necessary knowledge and experience to advise clients on the legal requirements of franchising in different jurisdictions.
The franchise relationship between a franchisor and franchisee is mostly governed by the franchise agreement and operations manual. Our franchising services include registering the franchise trade name and trademark, logo, and slogan, creating specific structures for every aspect of the business system, and creating a training program for new franchisees with regards to systems and procedures.
We can also assist with preparing legal documents including franchise agreements and licensing agreements, as well as preparing an operations manual that outlines the procedures and standards that must be followed by franchisees. Our attorneys work closely with clients to ensure that their franchise agreements and other legal documentation are tailored to meet their specific needs and requirements.
Smit & Van Wyk provides expert franchising services, including advice on common law principles in different jurisdictions, registering trademarks and trade names, creating training programs, and preparing legal documents such as franchise agreements and operations manuals. Our team of experienced attorneys work closely with clients to ensure that their franchise agreements and other legal documentation are tailored to meet their specific needs and requirements.
Smit & Van Wyk offers the following franchising services:
- Franchise agreements;
- Licensing agreements;
- Advice on all legal aspects when starting a franchise;
- Advice on all the legal aspects when buying a franchise;
- Dispute resolution services; and
- Advice on the Consumer Protection Act.
These documents should typically specify the manner and method of operations, business system requirements, supplier details, advertising specifications, insurance required and the franchise duration. There will be provisions in the contract that will have a direct impact on how the business is run. It is important to establish what the franchise and royalty fees will entail. The franchise fee is an up-front, once off fee charged at the beginning of the process. The franchise fee will be due when the franchise agreement is signed. Royalties are continuing fees that are paid to the franchisor on a weekly, monthly or quarterly basis, as long as the franchise agreement is in place. Royalty fees are tied to the sale of products or services. Royalties often cover elements such as ongoing training, updates to manuals, advertising and promotions. Smit & Van Wyk has assisted franchises in various industries including the food and beverage; travel; stationary; furniture; fitness and spa; personal care services and cleaning industries to name a few. Smit & Van Wyk is an accredited legal service provider and member of the Franchise Association of South Africa (FASA).
The process when starting a franchise includes:
- Registering the franchise trade name and trademark, logo and slogan.
- Opening a second or third outlet. Having multiple operating stores will provide information regarding the types of locations, procedures and advertising suitable for the business. It will also provide credibility to the business.
- Creating specific structures for every aspect of the business system.
- Creating a training program for new franchisees with regards to systems and procedures.
- Preparing legal documents including franchise agreements and licensing agreements, with the assistance of a franchise attorney.
- Preparing an operations manual.
- Preparing a disclosure document. The disclosure document should typically contain the: company history, owners and officers’ backgrounds, required investment breakdown, financial statements, principal aspects in the franchise agreement, existing franchisee’s information and litigation history.
- Ensuring compliance with the Consumer Protection Act.
- Ensuring success of franchisees by continually providing training and advertising assistance etc.
When buying a franchise, it is important to determine:
- What the nature of the business is;
- The location of the franchise store;
- The success of the franchise concept;
- Whether the franchise is financially successful;
- Local and national competition;
- The public’s perception of the franchise;
- Levels of initial and ongoing costs;
- How much training and support is offered; and
- Conditions and restrictions in the franchise agreement
Smit & Van Wyk provides a full range of Intellectual Property legal services in all African countries where protection is available. We can provide information on the filing requirements in each of the African countries and can also offer information on the various regional IP organisations such as ARIPO, OAPI and the Madrid protocol. We work with a network of trusted and knowledgeable agents to develop the best possible solution to each of our clients’ needs for trade marks, designs and patents in Africa.
In today's fiercely competitive business landscape, establishing a unique brand identity has become paramount for companies across industries. One powerful tool that can help safeguard and...
If you have an idea that you believe could revolutionize an industry or address a pressing problem, it is essential to comprehend why you should patent your idea. Obtaining a patent offers numerous...
The Anti-Counterfeit (Recordation) Regulations and the Anti-Counterfeit (Amendment) Regulations, 2021 The Cabinet Secretary for Industrialization, Trade and Enterprise Development of Kenya published...