Chantal Hoffelner is a patent attorney at Smit & van Wyk, with qualifications in biotechnology and law. Before joining Smit & van Wyk in 2009, she worked as a researcher in the Microbial, Biochemical and Food Biotechnology Department at the University of the Free State. She specialises in patent specification drafting, local and international patent searches and legal opinions.
- B.Sc Biochemistry and Microbiology
- B.Sc (Hons) Microbiology (Cum Laude)
- B.Sc Microbiology (Cum Laude)
- SAIIPL (Qualified Patent Practitioner)
Areas of Expertise:
- Patents: Biotechnology, medical, life sciences and pharmaceutical inventions.
- Registered Designs: Industrial designs, product designs, patterns and packaging.
- Litigation: Patent and design disputes.
- Fellow of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL).
- Member of the Southern African Research and Innovation Management Association (SARIMA).
- Member of the International Trade Mark Association (INTA).
Awards and Market Recognition
IAM Patent 1000:
The World’s Leading Patent Professionals – Ranked individual for patent services in South Africa 2020.
Quote: “produces work of the highest standard while ensuring deadlines are met”.