Chantal Hoffelner is a patent attorney at Smit & van Wyk, with qualifications in biotechnology and law. Before joining Smit & van Wyk in 2009, she worked as a researcher in the Microbial, Biochemical and Food Biotechnology Department at the University of the Free State. She specialises in patent specification drafting, local and international patent searches and legal opinions.
- B.Sc Biochemistry and Microbiology
- B.Sc (Hons) Microbiology (Cum Laude)
- B.Sc Microbiology (Cum Laude)
- SAIIPL (Qualified Patent Practitioner)
Areas of Expertise:
- Patents: Biotechnology, medical, life sciences and pharmaceutical inventions.
- Registered Designs: Industrial designs, product designs, patterns and packaging.
- Litigation: Patent and design disputes.
- Fellow of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL).
- Member of the Southern African Research and Innovation Management Association (SARIMA).
- Member of the International Trade Mark Association (INTA).
Awards and Market Recognition
IAM Patent 1000:
The World’s Leading Patent Professionals – Ranked individual for patent services in South Africa 2020 and 2021.
“Produces work of the highest standard while ensuring deadlines are met.”
“What really sets Chantal apart, and what speeds up the process significantly, is her scientific background. She quickly understands technical aspects and outlines the legal processes clearly. I truly wish all my interactions could be like this – she is outstanding.”