Wessel van Wyk
Wessel van Wyk is a qualified electronic engineer, an Attorney of the High Court, and a registered patent attorney. He has 18+ years’ experience in patents and Intellectual Property (IP) law and more than 10 years’ industry experience in the aerospace industry, both in a technical and a managerial capacity. He specialises in all matters relating to protection, enforcement, valuation and exploitation of IP. Wessel also advises major research and academic institutions on their IP Policies.
- BEng (Electronics)
- BEng (Hons)
- SAIIPL (Qualified Patent Practitioner)
Areas of Expertise:
- Patents: Electronic, mechanical, engineering and computer related inventions including AI.
- Registered Designs: Industrial designs, product designs, patterns and packaging.
- Litigation: Patent and design disputes.
- Fellow of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL).
- Past director of the Licensing Executive Society (LES).
- Member of the Southern African Research and Innovation Management Association (SARIMA).
- Member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA).
- Member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI).
- Member of the International Trade Mark Association (INTA).
- Member of the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI).
Design Rights: Functionality and Scope of Protection
Co-author to South African chapter of “Design Rights: Functionality and Scope of Protection”, Kluwer Law International, Ed. Christopher V. Carani.
Awards and Market Recognition
IAM Patent 1000:
The World’s Leading Patent Professionals – Ranked individual for patent services in South Africa 2020 and 2021. Quotes:
“Top professional with an excellent sense of what a great customer service looks like.”
“A very intelligent and reliable business partner. His professional knowledge is very accurate and his personal approach to every case makes him standout.”
Managing Intellectual Property (MIP)
Listed as an IP Star in 2019, 2020 and 2021.