Wessel van Wyk
Wessel van Wyk is a qualified electronic engineer, an Attorney of the High Court, and a registered patent attorney. He has 18+ years’ experience in patents and Intellectual Property (IP) law and more than 10 years’ industry experience in the aerospace industry, both in a technical and a managerial capacity. He specialises in all matters relating to protection, enforcement, valuation and exploitation of IP. Wessel also advises major research and academic institutions on their IP Policies.
Design Rights: Functionality and Scope of Protection
Co-author to South African chapter of “Design Rights: Functionality and Scope of Protection”, Kluwer Law International, Ed. Christopher V. Carani.
- BEng (Electronics)
- BEng (Hons)
- SAIIPL (Qualified Patent Practitioner)
Areas of Expertise:
- Patents: Electronic, mechanical, engineering and computer related inventions including AI.
- Registered Designs: Industrial designs, product designs, patterns and packaging.
- Litigation: Patent and design disputes.
Awards and Market Recognition
Listed in the Intellectual Property – Patents in South Africa legal rankings in 2022.
IAM Patent 1000:
The World’s Leading Patent Professionals – Ranked individual for patent services in South Africa from 2020 – 2022.
“A very intelligent and reliable business partner. His professional knowledge is very accurate and his personal approach to every case makes him standout.” – 2021.
“Van Wyk is hailed as “a superb draftsman” by his peers and has 10 years of industry expertise in the aerospace sector to back up his substantial IP experience.” – 2022.
Managing Intellectual Property (MIP)
Listed as an IP Star from 2019 – 2022.
Who’s Who Legal
Listed by Who’s Who Legal in the IP category for South Africa in 2022.
- Fellow of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL).
- Past director of the Licensing Executive Society (LES).
- Member of the Southern African Research and Innovation Management Association (SARIMA).
- Member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA).
- Member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI).
- Member of the International Trade Mark Association (INTA).
- Member of the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI).